atw: .... ality words and the compulsory mission statement [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:45:17 +1100

Long weekend work chasing a deadline.    It's not Friday.

One thing kept me close to sanity....     kept having to refer to one of
those documents with a title that mostly amuses, sometimes irritates:   a
Non Functional Specification document.

Now let me make it  plain:   I hate the word "functionality" and work
furiously to have it replaced wherever possible with something like er,
"function", "functions", or even the classic "what it does"...
But after a long weekend looking at software that doesn't quite work yet,
(testing phase)   ya gotta love the idea of specifications that don't
work, either -- the non-functional ones.

Was this a conscious attempt at humour ?   Somehow I doubt it.       And
that makes me question very seriously the thinking ability of those who
dream up some of these terms and embody them in a would-be methodology. Am
I alone ?

Love the idea that there are government departments all around working on
the basis of Non Functional Specifications.    It explains a lot.

It's a bit like the discovery that if you want to use the "Donate" button
for a  PayPal account, one of their "Third Reich" requirements is that you
provide them with a copy of your company's mission/vision statement !

Wow!    Winner of the "Worked for Enron" award . ...

Like I said.... long weekend work..    Some little things keep up sane.

Peter  M
--
This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended