atw: Thanks for the Welcome

  • From: John Bennett <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:13:19 +1300

Thanks to Michael, Bill, Dave, Tony, and Kate for their welcome.

Michael, thanks for that, I'll keep you in mind when I hit the brick
wall.

Bill, I also think writers in the defense and heavy engineering
industries are probably more inward focussed. Though I'm not sure it's
job stability that keeps them that way, but more likely, like myself, a
feeling of not sharing the same technical interests as the general
subscriber. You must be one of the lucky ones as I have never had any
real job stability since I started technical writing in '86.

Dave, I see you refer to yourself as a Technical Author and not the
generally accepted kiwi term Technical Writer. Is this the common term
at Tait's, or are you an expat from the UK?  A lot of the expat writers
I new in South Africa referred to themselves as technical authors.

Tony, I did a lot of work in South Africa for both the navy and the army
in the late '80s and early '90s. I remember that even then they were
beginning to develop new methods of document delivery, especially the
navy.

Kate, nice to hear from a female technical writer who has been involved
in what was generally considered the "mans world" of heavy engineering.
Most technical writers I meet today are female, but they are all
involved in software programming and online help systems. I have only
known one other female writer in the heavy engineering field. She had a
masters degree in engineering and worked with me documenting the boiler
systems for Majuba Power Station in South Africa. Although since being
in New Zealand I have seen female aircraft fitters at Air New Zealand
and female fitters and turners in an engineering shop close to where I
am now in Auckland.

Once again thanks for the welcome. I hope this helps to stimulate some
broader topics on the list and draw some of the hands-on engineering
types into making a contribution.

Regards
John Bennett