atw: Simplified English for mining industry documentation

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:17:43 +1000

Hi austechies,

Does anyone know if a simplified English is used anywhere in the mining
industry in Australia? By "simplified English" I mean a controlled sub-set
of English vocabulary and grammar from which technical writers in the
industry shall not deviate. The European Aerospace industry has one; Boeing
has one; and Caterpillar was, I think, the first to develop one.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant
Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd