atw: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED Gerunds rule OK (WAS Re: Macquarie dictionary -- receival)

  • From: "Silcock, Howard DR" <Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:20:03 +1100

Bede conjectured that "maybe some people just can't stand gerunds". I think
some people can't stand plain English.

I've never seen "updation" before (and don't want to see it again), but I
get tired of changing sentences like "the contractor was tasked to take
carriage of the reinstallation of the package" to "we asked the contractor
to reinstall the package". And changing "during the system upgrade users may
experience a degradation in response time" to "the system may be slower
during upgrade".

It's not just gerunds, though it's true that the same people do for some
reason seem to prefer "commence the implementation of XXX" to "start
implementing XXX".

Howard