atw: Re: use of the ? symbol

  • From: "Erica Ferrigno" <EFerrigno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:30:36 +1000

Morning folks...

Reg, we ended up playing it safe and used "...sales of approximately 8
billion Euro...".

Now I'm wondering whether I was right to capitalise the word Euro...

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Regards,
Erica.

                      "Reginald Hardman"

                      <cleardoc@xxxxxxxxx>           To:       "austechwriter
list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      austechwriter-bounce@fr        Subject:  atw: Re: use of
the   ? symbol
                      eelists.org

                      17/06/2004 01:31 AM

                      Please respond to

                      austechwriter

Salut Michael,
You are absolutely right, the currency symbol should never be used in
the context you give below. Curiously, the 1981 version of ISO 1000 does
allow "80 M$, even 10e6 USD" and other variants derived from standard SI
unit notation, all of which I would not use for fear of inflicting
severe dyspepsia.

As a follow-up, I looked at some web sites of EU countries whose
currency symbols prior to 2001 were placed before the numbers.

An Irish website (for hotel bookings) gave prices as, for example=20
"euros =80 150.00", having an each way bet on whether the reader can
display the euro symbol. So much for my advice Erica, which seems to
have been franco-centric. It appears that in countries where the old
currency symbol came before the numbers, so does the euro symbol. A
country's government can choose not to accept the ISO as a primary
standard, after all. For an international readership, and where the
material originated in a country where the symbol is put after the
numbers, I would still put it after the numbers (but never in the
context in Michael's remarks). How confusing could it be, anyway? As
always, take into account the 3 factors affecting how you express
anything. They are, in order of priority, audience, audience, audience.

BTW in a world where I am constantly emailed prices for pirated
software, medicine for organ modification and everything else, I found
it quite difficult to quickly find a website in languages I read, with
written prices, curious.

Reg

> Reg speaks (sorry, writes) sooth. (G'day, Reg!) But I do think the
> distinction between the "local" symbols ($, =A3, =A5, etc) and the SI sym
=
bols
> (USD, UKP, JPY) is worth observing. Most readers would be quite
> bewildered
> to encounter something like "80 million $", but "80 million USD"
> shouldn't
> give anyone much dyspepsia.
>=20
> Michael Lewis
>=20
> --------------------------------------
> Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
> http://www.brandle.com.au
> with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.
>=20
> To search the austechwriter archives, go to
> www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter
>=20
> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>=20
>=20
=0D
=0D
--=0D
R=E9ginald Hardman=0D
R=E9dacteur Technique=0D
Paris, France            =0D
=0D
Reginald Hardman=0D
Technical writer=0D
Paris, France

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee; access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you are kindly requested
to return a copy of this message to the sender indicating that you
have received it in error, and to destroy the received copy; and (2)
any disclosure or distribution of this message, as well as any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on its content, is prohibited
and may be unlawful.