atw: Re: use of the ? symbol

  • From: "Reginald Hardman" <cleardoc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:46:25 +0200

Erica,
En cherchant les sites web francophone, j'ai touv=E9 sur
http://www.irisa.fr/euro/
"Rappel: les unit=E9s se mettent toujours apr=E8s les chiffres, comme le
recommande le syst=E8me m=E9trique international. Il faut donc =E9crire 12,=
34=80
PAS =8012,34."

ISO 1000 (SI units) specifies currency unit conventions for
international technical reports, but I have access only to a 1981 copy!
It may have changed. In the SI system, usually ALL units are placed
after the numbers.

CORRECTION
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
In my last post, I gave the non-symbolic euro example as 80.45Eu. That
is incorrect. The correct useage is 80.45EUR. Sorry, my bad habits.

The custom here is to use the conventions to which the audience
(readership?)subscribe, so for a US audience the EUR symbol goes before
the numbers, which is technically incorrect. My feeling is that in a
mixed audience, the technically correct convention should be used. This
is especially so if the origin or subject of the information in the
document comes from a country which follows the technically correct
convention (eg France).

In summary, I would advise putting the Euro symbol after the numbers in
a document for a mixed audience. If this is uncomfortable (and you know
your audience better than I do), then put it in words, eg "80 million
euros".

That, of course, opens a whole new can of worms regarding whether you
use the final "s" in the plural form. You do in French, you're not
supposed to in English, but the Bank of England does. You decide, sorry
I have not found any more authoritative references.

Reg

=0D
=0D
--=0D