atw: Re: techwriter creed

  • From: ******* ***** <snason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:11:35 +1100

Thanks for that, Terry. I collect quotations on words and writing. I'll add
your find to my list.

Some others:

A good writer should be so simple that he has no faults, only sins.
William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), The Death of Synge.

No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.
Samuel Johnson, in James Boswell's Life of Johnson, 1.

As writers become more numerous, it is natural for readers to become more
indolent.
Oliver Goldsmith (1728-1774), The Bee

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, "it means
just what I choose it to mean, - neither more nor less."
Lewis Carroll (1832-1898), Alice Through the Looking-Glass.
Regards,

Steve

---- Terry Dowling <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We should not write so that it is possible for the reader to understand
us, but so that it is impossible for him to misunderstand us.
-Quintilian (Marcus Fabius Quintilianus), rhetorician (c. 35-100)

==

I bet this guy would have enjoyed being amongst some of our email
debates.

Cheers,

Terry