atw: Re: hidden text exposed

  • From: David Ryan <daverryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:46:10 +1000

Hi all,

What's the underlying process for the hidden text option? XML? Behaviors of
syntax or markup will vary over the versions of Outlook, as MS have/haven't
implemented standards. Certainly we should expect anything "hidden" as a
function of a host environment to break-out under another. Unless you are
into steganography, there's nothing truly "hidden" in Microsoft Office.

I'm not sure how we've gotten to a point where we should actually expect any
give file from Company X to have credits or metadata from Company Y, but it
is a significant IP breach and risk for many operations. I'm a big fan of
the Inspect Document tools introduced into the workflow of Word 2010, and
I'd love to think that the various corporations and companies with this
trait of recycling documentation would embrace it. If we do one thing in our
half-lives as technical writers, it surely must be educating people to nuke
their Properties data before publishing. I know "normal people" don't get as
excited about meta-data as we do, but the prep doc features of the new
versions of Word are an incredible tool for passive or unenthusiastic users.
I really like Neil's tip too!

Regards

Dave

PS: The phrase "hidden text" makes me think of the early days of SEO.
#FFFFFF font, #FFFFFF background. Why are people still using hidden text in
anything?