atw: Re: austechwriter Digest V1 #210 - anti Spam

  • From: gmbra@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:30:11 +0800

Further to the comments regarding ISP spam filtering, I've recently had a
sobering experience. I sent out a product upgrade notification to a client
list. I addressed the email to myself with the user addreses in a BCC list
for privacy protection. When the email came back to me, my provider's spam
filter had labelled it as spam, based on a set of inflexible Spam Assasin
rules. When I did not get replies from a number of long-term clients, I
resent the email as a bunch of individual emails, and a significant number
of clients had not even seen the first message. Whether this was because
their ISPs identified it as spam and did not send it, or labelled it as
spam and the receiver ignored it, I can't say. However, given this
experience, I'm not sure that automatic spam-filtering is necessarily a
"good" thing.
Graeme Worth
HyperWorks Reference Software