atw: Re: Youse [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:25:16 +1100

Kath:

You could try writing engagable into a nice new pome.....

Twas briggle and the slimthy tode
Did engagable the engly flive..
All slimply were the defenzil vode
And the bengly farg did grive....

Well,  it worked for some. ...

Or you just take up farnarkling as a hobby and invent a new group rule
there for engagabling. I'm sure they'd let you in. Sounds like it fits
with farnarkling.

Peter G Martin

From:   Michael Lewis <michael.lewis@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   11/01/2012 02:38 PM
Subject:        atw: Re: Youse
Sent by:        austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It will get into the dictionary when enough of your fellow language-owners
decide that it is part of the language.

Dictionaries describe the language as it is, assuming a level of consensus
amongst its owners / users. They don't describe the language as it might
be if proposed changes catch on!

- Michael

On 11 January 2012 14:18, Kath Bowman <Kath.Bowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
You can invent a word, but you can?t get it into a dictionary! I have been
trying to get ?engageable? into the Macquarie for a few years, without
success.
Engageable ? able to be engaged  (in the military sense).

Cheers
Kath