atw: Re: Youse

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:00:18 +1100

I'm not so sure.  When cultures are very similar, it can be difficult to
differentiate the nuances.  I love watching English drama because they are
as dramatic as I am, but I have to confess to being particularly retarded in
gaining a grasp of the Australian culture.  I believed what Australians say
about themselves rather than observing what they actually do.  I didn't
grasp until very recently that Australians require understatement where the
English working classes revel in overstatement.  For example, "She wasn't
really very nice" means "She was bloody awful." in Australian English.
However, "She was bloody awful.", means  "She wasn't really very nice." In
English English.

Don't know where this line of reasoning is going in light of your original
topic.  Clear rules would make it easier to communicate, but then again, who
follows clear rules?

ck