atw: Re: Writing for Australian Audience

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:25:23 +0800

Hi Manisha -

The Macquarie Dictionary (http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/) is the
best known Australian dictionary.

The indispensible guide to matters of style is the Style Manual for
Authors, Editors and Printers, put out by the Australian Government
Information Management Office. The Sixth Edition was published in 2002 by
John Wiley & Sons, Australia Ltd:

        ISBN 0 7016 3648 3 (paperback)
        ISBN 0 7016 3647 5 (hardback)

The Fifth Edition is available online (in inconvenient but free PDF format)
at:
http://www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing/style_manual.

These are the references I use when writing for a purely Australian
audience.

A very rough guide is that Australian English lies somewhere between UK
English and American English, but closer to UK English. I'd say older words
are more likely to follow British spelling (colour, defence) while many
newer words follow Uncle Sam (truck not lorry).

Beware of so-called Australian English spelling checkers. These often
contain both UK and US spellings, so you can't assume that you've used a
word correctly just because Microsoft Word doesn't complain.

---
Stuart Burnfield