atw: Re: Writing IS Programming!!

  • From: joe_zolin@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:44:52 +1100

One can programme a dog's responses (see the works of Pavlov et. al.).

One can react with programmed responses (see the responses to question for
help on this list as an example).

Mayhap the majority interpret the word "programming" as only applying to
creating instructions for computer processes.

And therein lies the nubbin of contention.

For indeed I believe that programming is not just restricted to our
silicon-based tools, but is a term to be used when providing  a set of
instructions to be followed to acheive a task, whether it be through a
programmable tool,  a genome, or indeed a reader of technical manuals.

Thus I remain convinced, that technical writing
Is
Programming!

(and yes, OO techniques are another interpretation of how things interact,
and can be used to provide insight into many worldly, nay universal things,
not just "computer programming")

mwahahahahahahaha!

Joe Zolin
Technical Communicator/Tech Comms MYOB
E-mail:              JOE.ZOLIN@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone (work):  (03) 9222 9992  Ext. 7429