atw: Re: Writing IS Programming!!

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:51:35 +0800

There was a book called The Media Equation that covered this
territory. There was a lot of discussion about it on usability and
TW lists at the time. I haven't read it but it sounds fascinating.

   "According to popular wisdom, humans never relate to a computer
   or a television program in the same way they relate to another
   human being. Or do they? In an extraordinary revision of
   received wisdom, Byron Reeves and Clifford Nass demonstrate
   convincingly in The Media Equation that interactions with
   computers, television, and new communication technologies are
   identical to real social relationships and to the navigation
   of real physical spaces.

   Authors Reeves and Nass present the results of numerous
   psychological studies that led them to the conclusion that
   people treat computers, television and new media as real
   people and places. Their studies show that people are polite
   to computers; that they treat computers with female voices
   differently than male-voiced computers; that large faces on
   a screen can invade a person's body space; and that motion
   on a screen affects physical responses in the same way that
   real-life motion does."

Christine B-K said:
> Catering for emotion doesn't mean writing emotionally.
> It means understanding the emotional responses of the
> reader to the way we write, the way we organise our
> materials, and the way we present them.

Yes! Error messages are a good example. They can have a
particular 'tone', such as "stern schoolmaster", "dull robot",
"snooty butler", "cringing flunky", and so on. People respond to
this tone, even if they're not aware that they're doing so. If we're
writing error messages or troubleshooting topics we need to be
aware that this is happening.

For a good article on this, see "'Polite, Personable' Error Messages"
http://www.stcsig.org/usability/newsletter/9801-errormessages.html

> It is our job to make the reader feel good. Isn't it?

I'd say it's our job to make the reader successful.

---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer
Australian Programming Centre