atw: Re: Writing IS Programming!!

  • From: "BIRTLEY-KENT,Christine" <Christine.BIRTLEY-KENT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:56:48 +1100 (EST)

Joe, you are just playing devil's advocate aren't you?

Catering for emotion doesn't mean writing emotionally.  It means
understanding the emotional responses of the reader to the way we write,
the way we organise our materials, and the way we present them.

Even something as simple as look and feel of a document appeals to the
emotions.  If we tried to present materials the way they looked 10 years
ago, they would be rejected out of hand.  That rejection would be
emotional in origin, not intellectual.  If we write long paragraphs,
they will not be read.

Usability partly involves the way people think, but also to a great
degree includes the way they feel.  We all know (don't we?) that the use
of colour appeals directly to the emotions rather than to logic.  It is
our job to make the reader feel good.  Isn't it?=20

Christine

Notice:
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attached files may
be confidential information, and may also be the subject of legal
professional privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient any use,
disclosure or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.