atw: Re: Usage survey: the expression "consists of"

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:05:59 +1100

Howard asks, somewhat incredulously,  why I am asking this question. Well,
quite a few of my younger students tell me that they interpret “consists of” in
a non-exclusive way. I wanted to gauge the strength (or lack of strength) of
such an interpretation. Is it a another piece of transitional semantics? A fad?
Or the uncertainty of  a handful of folk with a tenuous grip on conventional
semantics.

Words do change their meaning. Compare the contemporary  interpretation of
“villain” with that of the eighteenth century. Or the contemporary
interpretation of “disinterested” with that of the 1980s. Meanings change, and
that is one thing that doesn’t change.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant