atw: Re: Usage survey: the expression "consists of"

  • From: James Hunt <writerlyjames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:37:28 +1000

Two (dictionary) definitions:

1. consist of --- be composed or made up of: the exhibition consists of 180 drawings.

2. consist in --- have as an essential feature: his duties consist in taking the condition of the barometer.

So the underlying question seems to be: do people still use "consist in", or has "consist of" taken over both of these dictionary meanings? Come to think of it, I haven't heard anybody use "consist in" for decades.

JH

On 16/3/2012 1:17 PM, Geoffrey wrote:

Hi austechies

Can I get your feedback on how you interpret the expression "consists of" or "consisted of". In the following example:

"Drug therapy consisted of 0.25 mg of digoxin per day and 40 mg of propranolol twice a day."

do you read that as saying that the entire therapy included just digoxin and propranolol /and nothing else/? Or do you read it as saying that the therapy included digoxin and propranolol /and possibly something else/?

Don't worry about what might or might not be /correct/ (whatever that means). The issue is how you interpret "consisted of": as giving the full set of items or a sub-set of items.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd