atw: Re: The etiquette of warning off

  • From: jjw@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 13:54:54 +1200

Why not leave a review on Glassdoor (www.glassdoor.com.au)? You can be as anonymous as you need to be. Then you can suggest that people check the Glassdoor reviews which is a good idea anyway.

You can also have the fun of reading other reviews of the company. I particularly like reading the reviews of one of my former employers which have such titles as: "A few months in a place I would liken to a more boring hell" and "Please ask yourself, how desperate are you".

Quoting Garry Stevens <gg.stevens@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi All:

I'm wondering about the etiquette, if there is any, of warning off job applicants from companies. Such a murky area!

Consider so huge a company as CBA. I've never worked for this paragon of probity. I've known a few people who have, and none of them have regarded the experience with joy and happiness. But the company is vast, and my informants worked in many diverse areas. Should I suggest that CBA is a bad company to work for? No. But I am disinclined to to work for CBA myself, following two bizarre interview experiences over the past 20 years. No doubt others have spent many, many happy centuries working for CBA.

Now take a very, very much smaller company, one in which the bosses are the owners, and the owners the bosses. Should just one deeply unpleasant experience at such a company suggest that I alert future tech writers that they may have future unpleasantness, and that their tenures may be short? Again, I say No: suck it up and see.

What say ye all? Obviously, legal reasons prevent me from naming the company. All I can say is: Royal Commission into the Finance Industry.

G.

To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To contact the list administrator, send a message to