atw: Re: The New World Order, take 2

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:00:14 +1100

Sorry Ken, sorry Christine, but that is soft-headed hippie nonsense. Do you
seriously expect folk to stand by, mute, while other folk utter statements
of dubious epistemological value. Christine, you want people to
"respectfully share ..  their personal understanding and perceptions, and
together ... reach a new understanding that each alone could not have
reached [and not be vigorously challenged in the process]". Pass me the
bucket. You are effectively saying that the epistemological value of an
utterance is not a consideration. Thus folk who say the earth is flat, Neil
Armstrong didn't walk on the moon, there were dinosaurs on the ark, carbon
dioxide is not affecting the planet's climate, Jews were not killed in gas
chambers during the second world war, scientology is a religion, and so on
and so on should be invited to "respectfully share ..  their personal
understanding and perceptions [so that] together [we can] reach a new
understanding that each alone could not have reached". Soft-headed nonsense.
Why should I waste a nanosecond of my time sharing "personal understanding
and perceptions" with a flat-earther? Or a creationist? Or a
market-worshipping economist who thinks everyone knows everything about
every market. Why should I give them an atom of oxygen to spruik their
nonsense. This is John Howard's demented approach to ensuring balance on the
ABC: give every nut their 15 minutes of fame.

One person's declarative utterance is not, ipso facto, equal to another's.
In amongst the truth there are the howlers, the idiocies and the spin. Just
imagine if we followed Christine's ethic and gave each person's view equal
respect and never verbally challenged what was clearly arrant nonsense. We'd
still be in the cave wondering whether to give more allegiance to the wind
god or the fire god or the sun god. We have progressed as a civilisation
because the superficial, the lazy and the vested interest has been
challenged, and challenged vigorously. Why waste hours of respectfully
sharing someone's view that there is a finite number of prime numbers when a
two-minute knock-down argument has been around since the time of Euclid.

I'm sorry Christine, but amongst the gems you do offer this list,
occasionally you put forward some claim or other that is arrant nonsense.
Your claim that everything that is to be learnt can be learnt from YouTube
is your most recent example (and your response to Howard Silcock's neutral,
uncritical question is an example of you refusing to follow the very ethic
you want us to follow). Those who challenged you have as much right to
challenge your claims as the claims of flat-earthers and scientologists.
(You did, I notice, have the grace to republish your posting with the claim
that caused the fuss struck out, a move that deserves respect.)

You say we  are trashing your reputation, Christine, by vehemently arguing
with you. On the contrary, you are trashing your reputation yourself with
claims that are outrageous and fall at the first analysis (which thankfully,
for you and this list, is only occasionally).

Fellow subscribers, this is not a self-help list. The list doesn't exist to
make you feel good, appreciated and valued. (Go to your shrink for that.)
Statements made on the list deserve the same sort of scrutiny as statements
made in Economic Review, Physical Papers or the British Medical Journal.
Don't shy away from robust challenges on the basis that some on this list
want to be protected from criticism by wrapping themselves in some self-spun
cocoon. Robust argument is the way to knowledge, not post-modernist
relativism of the sort that gives every view an equal standing, to be shared
in the hope of reaching a new understanding through some Hegelian synthesis.

Sorry, but I've given up joints (along with self-contradictory
epistemologies).

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant
Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd