atw: Re: Steps and consequences

  • From: John Bennett <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:52:23 +1200

Getting back to the original question, Naomi, here's my take on it from a non
IT perspective.
The format of procedures vary between disciplines, but should always be clear
on what the action is at each step and what the
consequence of that action will be.

Unlike IT disciplines, other disciplines do not usually have the benefit of an
obvious consequence shown on a GUI.  This is
particularly so when performing procedures on mechanical or electronic
hardware. The consequence of an action can inform the
reader/operator/technician/whoever if the result of the action has been
successful.

For example:

     While configuring a digital display controller ........

     ACTION:                     Step 3.    From the SP6 Timer list, select
Repeat as the timer mode.

     CONSEQUENCE:                        The SP6 annunciator on the controller
is now flashing.

If the consequence statement was not there, how would the reader know if their
action had the desired result.

Cheers
John Bennett