atw: Re: Speaking of search engines

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:53:14 +1000

Anyone who does use Ecosia is using Bing (and Yahoo) anyway -- which is why the results look okay -- but 80% of the money (it is claimed) goes to reforestation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/dec/03/ecosia-green-search-engine

I'd be amazed if one of my searches using Ecosia saved 2 square metres of rain forest, particularly since link sponsors never get any money out of me, but then again there's rain forests and there's marketing departments lost in the forest ...

Neil.

On 10/09/2010 4:17 PM, LIVERANI Petra wrote:

Has anyone tried www.ecosia.com <http://www.ecosia.com/> which makes the claim " Each web search saves about **2 m²** of rainforest for free. We already protected **165,956,910 m²**."

I discovered it and used it yesterday a couple of times and it seemed good but forgot about it today until Neil's post reminded me.

Regards,

Petra

Petra Liverani

Technical Writer / UX Designer

petra_liverani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:petra_liverani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Transport Management Centre

RTA

**25 Garden St****, Eveleigh NSW 2015 ****|**** PO Box 1625, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012*** ***P:**** 8396 1617 ****|**** ****F:**** 8396 7950 ****|**** ****X:**** 81617 **

Before printing, please consider the environment. IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.