atw: Re: Should we always give users what they ask for?

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austechwriter <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:21:24 +0900 (WST)

Sorry folks, pressed Send by mistake. I was going to finish off
by saying:

My feeling is that comprehension is a factor (of course),
reader preferences are a factor (of course), the environment
is a factor, the nature of the text or task is a factor...

So "always"? No. "reader preferences carry the day: yes or no?"
Maybe? Sometimes? It depends?

My main reservation about this thread is that I don't know how
much weight to put on the comprehension studies you cite.
"Up to 60%" isn't a statistic I can do anything with. What does
it mean?
- every subject's comprehension was worse and the worst of
the lot was 60% worse
- some were worse, some were better, but on average more
were worse
- results varied depending on the material, and for a particular
sort of material the readers' (reader's?) comprehension was
60% worse

Stuart