atw: Re: RoboDemo and the like

  • From: "Rhonda Bracey" <rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:54:43 +0800

Hi Craig

<snip>I'd be interested to hear what anybody using RoboDemo in a =
production
environment thinks of it. Likewise, if anybody knows of software that =
does
the same thing, or even software that does it better, please do speak
up.</snip>

My $0.02 worth...

I downloaded and trialled RoboDemo a few weeks back and had nothing but
trouble with it - error messages and the like. Even after reinstalling, =
they
were still there. Two support calls were logged with eHelp - with no
response.

I also trialled Viewlet Builder (www.qarbon.com) and Camtasia Studio
(www.techsmith.com - the SnagIt people). In both cases the apps worked =
fine
and I was able to get some great results. I liked both, and from memory =
the
prices were similar. I particularly liked Viewlet's final output - the
resolution was better than that I had with Camtasia (in both cases I =
output
to SWF format).

Each had their pluses - and a few minuses.=20

I have also used Flash MX to build similar things. Maybe it was my lack =
of
experience with Flash (likely!) but I found it extremely cumbersome to =
use
for screen tutorials as you either had to capture the screens using
something like Camtasia first, or had to take hundreds of screen shots =
and
then import them into the Flash library.  Not an experience I'd want to
repeat.

Hope this helps

Rhonda

Rhonda Bracey