atw: Re: Pages and frames

  • From: warren.lewington@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:33:42 +0800

MSTP may not be up to date with regards to Portals etc.
John, my suggestion would be to ensure each frame or window of the portal
has a title bar coded into the page itself. Just like a 'Print' or 'Save
As' dialogue or window might have a title.  Each frame, dialogue or
window, with it's own title will reduce your terminology problem
dramatically. I instigated a similar solution in a Java based application
while doing documentation tasks last year. I also used terms like
dialogues and windows because really, a portal is just a 'web
application,' it is software based around the structure of a web browser
and internet technologies, employing the principles of traditional
software applications more flexibly. Consequently each section is a form
of dialogue or window, embedded in a browser.

Terms like "frame" for example, are great to use for people who know html
or web design, but I think they fall under the jargon banner - i.e.
industry specific. People using portals also use windows software so have
a grasp of software terminology. Terminology can be a special problem with
a real portal, because they can be modified to suit people, departments,
industries or divisions of corporations, so you never know how each window
will be used.

So you have to start at the application design, obviously setting up your
terminology's in the doco and being consistent during the authoring
processes from there. Its a real advert for style guide use too, but thats
another thing.

If the developers get precious about giving each page, frame, window a
title bar, stomp on them with an Oliphaunt foot. It is not that hard,
unless they are REALLY bad developers...

I really HTH.
Warren Lewington
Technical Writer
Metso Minerals