atw: Re: (OT) Tassie Wilderness Trails

  • From: "Christine" <christine_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:23:37 +1000

Oh the midlands is literally a desert.  The trees were probably not poisoned
- there has been a severe drought here as well, particularly in that
midlands area which is in a rain shadow from the mountains to the west.
However, they are still chopping down old growth forests in the mountains to
the west.

There has never been an EPA here, corruption is rife and attitudes are
profoundly out of date.  Rednecks cannot see themselves working in the
tourist industry rather than in factories or chopping down trees, and the
state is rife with them.  Georgetown would be one of the most polluted areas
in Australia. Even the politicians are not sophisticated enough to see the
possibilities with environmental tourism, and any newcomers to rural
communities who may try to preserve some of the flora, fauna or history of
the place and frozen out and only stay a year or two.

I was listening to an interview on local radio with some local government
representatives - some kind of conference, who were actually discussing how
people with new ideas get driven out, meaning the state is missing out on
what could be a very bright future as the "clean, green state" which it most
definitely is not at the moment.

Unfortunately the bad attitude prevails amongst both the rednecks and the
greens - the rednecks want to chop down the forests and build industries,
and the greens try to prevent any development at all, even eco-tourism
developments, because they want what is left of the wilderness totally
protected. But without eco-tourism and the employment it could bring, the
rednecks win.

ck