atw: Re: OT. Shameless self-promotion, or how to handle brain fatigue

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 15:25:48 +1000

Christine said

 On writing books and making money -- if anyone want to think
 that writing and self-publishing a book is an exercise done for
 profit, please try it.  People like me are evangelists without a
 cause (or at least a cause that I will ever let you guys know
 anything about).  We want to share good stuff -- making enough
 money to pay for review copies would be great!

Christine is quite right. I'm sure that somewhere there are people who make a profit out of self-published books, but I don't know of any. I'm sure I won't make enough out of mine to pay for the freebies I've had to give away.

Don't think that self-publishing a book is a path to riches. But if anyone out there wants to try it, I'll happily give you some help to get you started. Just don't come whining to me about having a stock of books you can't sell. I don't give advice on marketing or salesmanship.

Allan