atw: Re: New Subscriber Saying Hello

  • From: Kate Macumber <macumber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:47:03 +1100

Hi John,

There are technical writers out there documenting machinery and up until
recently, I was one of them.

I was working for a company that created fruit sorting machinery and
software.  I found that writing machinery-based documentation was very
different from writing software documentation and had to broaden my
skill-set accordingly.  For example, you need to be much more aware of OH&S
considerations (people can lose limbs if you don't document properly) and
you can't just take screen captures if you want to show a picture or two:
either you become a dab hand at technical drawing, are attached to a digital
camera or you become good friends with the drafting department (and in my
case, I did all three!).

Sometimes, too, paper documentation is the only sensible approach. Often
with machinery you may not be near a computer so online help is useless, as
was the case in my job.  In addition, most of my user group were
computer-illiterate, so the last thing they needed was more of that "scary
computer stuff". In fact, I know of software documentation projects where
the media used is paper simply because the users are not very computer
literate.

Now I am back writing online help / paper materials for software
applications. Indeed, there seems to be a lot more of this sort of work
around, but that doesn't mean that other kinds of documentation work aren't
around and aren't needed.

Kind regards,

Kate.