atw: Re: Mouses??

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:21:10 +1000

So much for calming the waters. It looks as if I've sent Bruce stomping
off in disgust.

In case you do read this, Bruce, I understand that for some reason this is
a hotspot for you, but I'm not trying to undermine your 18-year-long
reputation. I was quite ready to accept that you may know something about
this that I don't. (In fact, I'm quite ready to accept that almost anyone
may know more about this than I do.)

However, you say:
> 'Mouses' is recognized
> as the ONLY form in both the Macquarie and the Oxford. This was pointed
> out in two previous emails in the thread.

Checking the relevant posts on this list , I found the following:

> SOED (4th Ed.) shows the
> following:

> mouse, Pl. mice, in sense 4 *also* mouses
> Sense 4: Any of various objects regarded as resembling a mouse in shape
> or appearance; spec. (b) 'Computing' a small hand-held device moved over
> a flat surface to produce a corresponding movement of a cursor or arrow
> on a VDU, usu. Having fingertip controls for selecting a function or
> entering a command.

and

> Macquarie dictionary (revised 3rd Edition):

>   /mows/ noun, plural mice /muys/; *also* for defs 5 and 6 mouses
> /'mowsuhz/.
[5 and 6 are the computer-related definitions]

I didn't add the word 'also' - it was there in both the original posts. On
my reading of these, both say that 'mice' is a plural in all cases, but
for computer uses there's ALSO an alternative form 'mouses'. So how can I
or anyone interpret this as saying that 'mouses' is the ONLY recognised
form?
So far I've seen nothing to suggest that any authority has proposed a
definitive usage. But I don't claim any special knowledge - in fact, I've
not had much occasion to work with documents in which this term is used -
so I'm *still* open to persuasion.

And if it turns out that you're right and I've somehow missed the boat and
'mouses' has been officially approved and is in general use, but I just
didn't know about it, well, OK, I apologise for questioning you and let's
turn our attention elsewhere.

But if you choose to stick to your guns and leave it where it is, well,
that's fine with me too. Probably everyone else is bored stiff with the
discussion anyway.

Howard

Howard Silcock
Technical Writer
ADI Limited
Electronic Systems
1 Phipps Close, Deakin, ACT 2600
Ph. +61 2 6234 6075
Fax +61 2 6234 6011
Email: howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web page: www.adi-limited.com.au

"I-Ashley, Bruce" <bruce.ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/10/2006 11:53 AM
Please respond to austechwriter

        To:     <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        atw: Re: Mouses??

(Sorry list ... this is my last comment on the issue)

Hi Howard,

You said: "But if you can provide evidence that 'mouses' is not only
acceptable but recognized as the standard form, I'll retreat
gracefully."

I shouldn't have to tell you how to suck eggs but 'Mouses' is recognized
as the ONLY form in both the Macquarie and the Oxford. This was pointed
out in two previous emails in the thread. If this word is too
uncomfortable, then avoid its use.

Also, if you have more definitive works than these two dictionaries, I'd
like to know what they are because they are certainly unknown to me.

As for pomposity, I think you've lost the point. This is simply a matter
of using the correct word as defined in a dictionary and not inventing
your own or promoting the incorrect use of a word frequently used
incorrectly.

Remember that we are technical writers. Entrepreneurial language should
come from journalists, jingo writers or advertising copy writers, not
us. We should be defending the language to allow standardization,
consistency and a clear understanding of the message we are trying to
get across.

As such, there is no like/dislike about the use of mice/mouses, there is
simply a right and a wrong based on the definitions found in a
dictionary.

As a technical writer, you should understand this.

As for teeth/tooths et al., we are all aware of the idiosyncrasies of
the language but unless you intend to declare yourself a greater
reference source than our main dictionaries, learn to use what is
already there.

And one final thing Howard, I don't particularly care if you need
evidence other than the clear, succinct references in two major
dictionaries or if you think it bizarre to need to defend the incorrect
use of a word, or for that matter, if you will retreat gracefully when
more proofs are offered, because I have made my living, in part, over
the last 18 years, correcting these sort of errors.

There is nothing personal here Howard, I just think that on this one
occasion, you are defending the indefensible and by doing so, you are
sending the wrong message out.

Cheers,

Bruce