atw: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

  • From: Janice Gelb <janice.gelb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:34:37 +1100

On  9/02/12 10:39 PM, Howard Silcock wrote:
I was interested to read what they said about mouse terminology. We had a
protracted discussion about the plural of 'mouse' on this list some years ago,
in which I railed against the word 'mouses'. Microsoft always advocated using
'mouse devices', which I thought was a bit silly, but still better than
'mouses'. Well, now they appear to have shifted a little bit, as the new Manual
of Style says 'use mouse devices if you can. Otherwise, use mice.'

Thanks for the update. Sun style is to say "mouse devices" as well.
As for the new MMoS advice - does the entry provide any further
explanation of what "if you can" means, such as example situations?

-- Janice