atw: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:59:57 +1100

Of course, that's true (though it's amusing that you count alumni among
non-living things!). I was trying hard to uncover what Ken was getting at,
and the two things I could see were: the -ouse/-ice pluralisation does seem
to go with living things but there are only two examples; and irregular
plural forms seem to be a bit more common among names of living things (not
commoner in absolute number, but in proportion to the number of names
altogether for each).  So what? you may ask. Well, that I can't really
answer! Ken was trying to infer that 'mice', as an irregular plural,
*must* refer
to living things - but that would only follow from the quite different
assertion that 'irregular plurals ONLY come from names of living things'.
And that *is* refuted by your list.

Howard