atw: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

  • From: Robert Levy <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:22:02 +1100

Everyone counts! I'm not the one saying that anyone else is wrong, and neither
is Microsoft. Both are just fine. You said that one way is wrong.

It's not a circular argument. It's a description of how language works. I
wouldn't have said it if only two people use a word in a way that no one else
understands. But when millions use it that way, and are understood by millions
more, then it's part of the language.

There's no point saying that English doesn't use a construction that it quite
obviously does. At least, the way that I define English. I don't know how you
define it, of course.

rwl