atw: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

  • From: Robert Levy <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:17:55 +1100

Microsoft puts out a style guide so that they stay consistent at Microsoft.
They do their research and try to figure out what will be best understood by
their audience (and what makes them look good, of course).

They're not saying that other people should do what they do.

Having said that, they do have a reasonably large audience (cough), and when
they start calling it mice, it's not unreasonable to think that lots of people
already are, and soon will be, calling it mice.

So, I think they do have a track on what's happening in English, and they may
actually affect English worldwide. It doesn't matter whether there's confusion
between the biological mouse, because language doesn't worry about silly things
like logic.

rwl