atw: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 01:57:55 -0800 (PST)

Just because the original (biological) mouse has an irregular plural does not
mean that an object named after it must have the same plural.  The word "mouse"
is applied to the piece of computer equipment as a metaphor.  There is no
suggestion that it is literally the same as a biological mouse.  Given that
they are
understood as being completely different, having different plurals prevents
ambiguity
e.g. between "there are mouses next to my PC" and "there are mice next to my
PC".
The use of English is outside Microsoft's area of expertise.