atw: Re: Looks good, but ....

  • From: "Robert Kloiber" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:41:18 +1000

Michael Lewis:

> I think it's more likely that they don't realise that they have a bad
> translation on
> their hands in the first place. The people who commission translations
> are not, in
> general, native speakers of the target language. They are unable to make
> the
> judgement.

Indeed, it takes a lot of experience to be able to choose a translator with
the right
abilities for a given job, not to mention for the target audience and the
target country.

Some companies have recognised what a sensitive issue language really is,
and the local usage of it. So they require us to provide translations not
just
into 'English' but localisations into UK and US English, or European and
Latin American Spanish, for example, to allow for differences in locally
preferred
terminology and syntax.

Robert Kloiber
Academy Translations  @  www.academyXL.com