atw: Re: Looks good, but ....

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:00:29 +1000

> Good call, Michael (Lewis)
>
> I gather from what I have seen and from what I have had related to me, that
many people - particularly in South East Asian countries - learn English from a
very early age, if not from birth - but it's a local variation on the English I
grew up
speaking as a true native speaker.

> I guess I stretched the definition of 'native speaker' to 'someone who learnt
English either concurrently with their country's official language or at least
from
the very early years of school...'

Fair enough, especially in this context, but there are fluency issues arising
from
several underlying factors.

In linguistics, "native speaker" is explicitly someone who learns the language
from birth and uses it at home. There's a distinction between "language
acquisition" (first language) and "language learning" (any other). Only
children
who are born into truly bilingual (or, very rarely of course, multilingual)
families
will be native speakers of more than one language. In other cases, the first
language is normally the medium of instruction for the second language; even
in "immersion" programs, instructions on how to get to the classroom in the
first
place are given in the first language.

"Fluency" tends to be identifiable with whether you "think in" the language. If
you think in yur native language, then mentally translate into the second
language as you speak, you'll rarely display anything like true fluency. But
fluency in a sociolect won't be regarded as true fluency by speakers of the
dominant or prestigious "standard form".

Of course, advertisers in particular will often adopt a language variant that's
specific to their target demographic group. Perhaps that's what the Nokia
brochure does.

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
www.brandle.com.au