atw: Re: Internal Resource Map

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:31:13 +1000

 Ken
If you take on the responsibility of source mapping I suspect you will be stuck with the version control role as well. For that I'd suggest storing the documents in Visual SourceSafe, which is intended for storing programmer's code, but does a good job with documents. That strategy gives you structured locations through one access point that works like Explorer, control of who has access, and bulletproof version control.

Allan

On 20/09/2010 3:40 PM, Ken Fredric wrote:
Hope this request isn't too left-field for this list. If it is, and if there is a better place to ask this question, please let me know. I imagine we're no different from many companies (around 80 staff) in that we have thousands of commonly used documents & files stored in various locations such as network folders, intranet (SharePoint), the company website, customer portal that doubles as a resource for staff, etc. Because staff don't know where a particular resource is located, this leads to many requests along the lines of "where can I find the latest version of ABC.doc". And because I'm the techncal writer, it's assumed that I must be responsible for all documents, so all the requests come to me. We have staff based all around Australia, with head office here in Brisbane. I am in the initial stages of planning what I have called a 'Resource Map'. The purpose of this map will be to provide a single point where all staff members can come to search for resources such as documents and files that are stored somewhere in a location that is accessible to all staff. Haven't yet gotten to the point of deciding on the format, or decided whether it should be editable by all staff, e.g. a wiki. I'm wondering whether others on this list have faced this problem and come up with a workable solution. Also wondering if there is any software out there that could help with this.
Thanks,
*Ken Fredric
*