atw: Re: Helpsought: Tools for converting Word documents to HTML

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austechwriter <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:51:03 +0800 (WST)

Hi Dora -

Until recently I would have recommended chewing off your own eyeball rather
than use Master Documents for this (or any) task. Nevertheless, according to
this article in the Woody's Office Watch blog, MS fixed the master document
feature in Word 2007 and it now works:

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?articleid=1396&zoneid=12

"Don't be afraid - Word's Master Documents is stable and worth using.

Eventually Microsoft listened and rewrote the whole codebase to make it work
safely. However memories of master document disasters still linger and
Office-Watch.com is often asked if the feature is now safe. The answer is
yes..."

I haven't tried this myself yet (swore off Master Docs in 1996) but *IF* it's
true, it would be worth doing a trial on a couple of hundred documents.

- How long does it take to set up and maintain them as subdocs?
- How long does it take to save the master doc as HTML?
- Is the conversion reliable or do you still get errors?
- Do the output files work correctly in Flare?

If you do try this it would be great to hear how you get on.

Stuart