atw: Re: Haitch or Aitch?

  • From: Kirsty Taylor <kirsty.taylor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:13:06 -0800

I switch between aitch and haitch, so I can’t help you Rob. ☹

I think the “Australian Catholic school pronunciation” thing is less about the
religion or schools themselves, and more about the likelihood in earlier
generations that Catholic schools would have Irish nuns and priests among the
teachers teaching the children.
But I could have it wrong. By the time I got to my 12 years of Catholic convent
schooling, I only had one Irish-born nun as a teacher, and that was only in
primary school.
KT