atw: Re: Haitch or Aitch?

  • From: Amanda Cat <amandacat22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 01:56:23 +0000

I've always gone with "an HTML file" or "a .html file".
A quick straw poll here had most people not aspirating the "h". They all said:
"An aitch Tee Em Ell file"  :)
Apropos of nothing, though. I have no hard and fast rule to back that up.
Amanda

From: robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: atw: Haitch or Aitch?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:47:38 +1100

I’m editing a doc where the writer referred to “a HTML file.” Both haitch and
aitch pronunciations are permitted in Macquarie (though haitch is first). This
has probably come up many times on this list, but I don’t remember it… The
Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage says that a survey in 2000 found
that: “43% of younger people (under 25 years) were prepared to say that they
used “haitch”, but only 6% of those 65 and over.” Any thoughts? rwl