atw: Re: Fwd: Privacy settings on Linkedin

  • From: "John New" <johnn198@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:02:58 +1100

Thanks, that was a very useful email.

John
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jasmine Andrews
  To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 7:58 PM
  Subject: atw: Fwd: Privacy settings on Linkedin

  Hi All

  I've received an email from a friend warning of some recent changes to
privacy settings on LinkedIn.

  It seems to be genuine as I've logged in to the site and found similar
messages when reading through my account settings.

  If you're a LinkedIn user you might want to review your own settings and
decide if the changes are acceptable to you or not.

  Personally, I get quite annoyed when sites and service introduce changes
quietly that use your personal information and the default settings for the new
features are set for the highest level of sharing rather than the lowest.

  Jasmine

        Date: 1/16/2012

        Subject: Privacy settings on Linkedin

        Dear all, this is genuine so please read below!

        Apologies if you've already seen this but Linkedin have very quietly
introduced some new settings that potentially seriously affect your privacy and
your ability to prevent unwanted emails (spam). These new settings are
defaulted ON and include allowing Linkedin to use profile information, names
and photos in third party advertising. Please see the links below for opting
out. You might want to consider alerting your contacts on Linkedin.

        To reach the hard-to-reach settings options the following URL's should
take you directly to them (cut and paste into your browser if they don't work
as live links)

        Manage social advertising:
https://www.linkedin.com/settings/?modal=nsettings-social-advertising&tab=account

        Manage enhanced advertising:
https://www.linkedin.com/settings/?modal=nsettings-enhanced-advertising&tab=account

        Data sharing with third party applications:
https://www.linkedin.com/settings/?modal=nsettings-data-sharing&tab=groups

        Partner InMail:
https://www.linkedin.com/settings/?modal=nsettings-partner-inmail&tab=email

        It is worthwhile checking your settings and deciding what you do not
want!