atw: Re: Extra spacing after full stop

  • From: "Rhonda Bracey" <rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:13:46 +0900

I just did a Google search for "one space or two" and got some 11,000
hits... so there's plenty out there to support whichever way you go.

As you noted, Chicago says one, and the Australian Style Manual (6th
edition, p117) also recommends a single space after punctuation such as
commas and full stops--they insist on it after colons and semicolons.

If your organisation is using Word, you can get the 'double space' users
to set Word so that it converts two spaces after punctuation in to one
(in Word 2003 go to Tools > Options > Spelling & Grammar tab, then click
Settings in the Grammar section and change the settings in the "Require"
group; you can also force a serial comma this way too).

This question goes around almost all tech writing lists every few years
and invariably results in list wars, so be warned...

Rhonda

Rhonda Bracey
rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.cybertext.com.au <http://www.cybertext.com.au/>