atw: Re: Do you "sort a column" or "sort the data in a column" ?

  • From: Peter G Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:32:48 +1000

Hey!  That all depends on what's being sorted.
The most common practice would be to sort +all+ the data (ie contents of all columns) on the basis of values in a particular column... ie, the "key" for the sorting is the data in the column which has had its title clicked, and associated values in other columns are reordered along the with "keys". Otherwise, the relationships between columns would be lost.

This appears to be different from the original description, ie :

"... the information displayed in that column can be (re)organized alphabetically, or numerically...."

So.... check what's involved. If it's the more common practice, it's +the rows+ in the table that are being sorted on the basis of values in the column clicked.

-Peter M