atw: Re: Defaulting to spell checking in MS Outlook

  • From: "Anthony Self" <ASelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:39:16 +1100

Surely you're having a laugh, Geoff? The vendor-supplied online Help, written
by the technical communicators at Microsoft, didn't answer your question, so
you're turning to peer-generated help? Do you trust the answer we're going to
supply?

I no longer have Outlook 2003, but in 2007 the setting is on Tools > Options,
then the Spelling tab, with further options under the Spelling and
Auto-correction button. If you are using Word as your Outlook editor, it may be
picking up the Word preferences.

Cheers

Tony

>>> "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 12/03/2009 5:29 pm >>>
Hi austechies,

If you have been reading my recent emails, you may have gathered that I'm a
crap speller, and probably don't know how to turn on the spell-checker. Yes,
and no. I'm running MS Outlook 2003 on Windows XP, and every time I deselect
the "Do not check spelling and grammar" option, the option is selected by
default when I next open Outlook. And thus I send emails thinking the
spell-checker is on when it has bloody well turned itself off.

Has anyone got any ideas how to set spell-checking as the default? The OLH
is of absolutely no use.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant