atw: Re: Current agency practices

  • From: "Kevin Williamson" <kevw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:53:50 +1000

This is indeed deceptive conduct as Peter Rule expressed.
The same situation is being experienced in Brisbane where agencies are
taking money 'off-the-top'.   A friend of mine recently 'reduced' her =
asking
price because the agency's client had determined that her skills would =
be
required for a much longer period than first expected.  As the term was =
much
longer, she was happy to do this as it meant that she would not have to =
get
on the 'search' merry-go-round for some time (sound familiar?).
Alas, was there a reduction!  Conclusion, we should all take Peter's =
advice
and ask the questions before making a commitment.  That way we get what =
we
have budgeted for after the agency takes their chop.
Kevin Williamson

From: Stevens Garry garstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue,  8 Mar 2005 11:55:09 +1100
To: "'Austechwriter \(austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)'"
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: atw: Current agency practices

> Hi All:
>=20
> From other colleagues I've noticed an increasing growth in what I =
consider
> to be unusual hiring practices by (Sydney) agencies. The standard I =
have
> always seen is that you haggle a rate (inc or ex of super; I've never
> bothered with all that fancy company stuff) and that is that. That's =
the
> rate that appears on your contract.
>=20
> I've heard that some agencies now deduct a "management fee". Others
contract
> you to some third-party company, which then takes a chunk for =
processing
> your money. Yet another I've heard docks you PI (some cents per hour). =
The
> key point is that you first hear of  this when you front up to sign =
the
> contract.=20
>=20
> I don't particularly care how an agency constructs its fee structure, =
but
> all these things should be built into their cut from the get-go, not
sprung
> on the contractor at the last moment.
>=20
> Do any others have experience of these rate ambushes recently?
>=20
> Garry
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> ***********************************************************=20
> CAUTION: This Message may contain confidential information intended=20
> only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the=20
> intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any =
use,=20
> dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is =
prohibited.

> If you received this message in error please notify Mail =
Administrators=20
> immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the=20
> individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of
> Woolworths Ltd.=20
with
"unsubscribe" in the Subject field.
>=20
> To search the austechwriter archives, go to
>=20
with

=20

--=20