atw: Re: Correct usage conundrum: "Match to" vs "Match with"

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 23:43:10 +1100

Brian Clarke wrote:
> I was using 'shy' in its nominative sense of being an object you throw at a
> coconut.
> Perhaps it's a meaning of which the Macq knows nought because it's not a
> media-common
> usage?

Well it's referred to in a number of dictionaries as not being in common usage
as a noun, so presumably that suggests the Macq might have something going for
it, if in fact it doesn't list it in nounal use -- that is unless of course,
the other dictionaries picked that up from "the media", which presumably would
make it wrong.

Why do you persist with these bullsh*t myths that the Macq is either the only
dictionary that cites media or is somehow a dictionary that  is more dominated
by media than any other dictionary?   If you bother to go to the Oxford
dictionary, as I suggested, you'll find the London Times newspaper cited
hundreds of times.   Or is the Times not "media" and the Oxford only a weak
cousin to the Macq or somesuch?

You might hate it, but it seems extremely likely you'll find the tendency to
cite media continued and even expanded in future, with even the Brisbane
Courier Mail getting a run.

Thus, in Lingua Franca, ABC radio, 12/3/2005, Sarah Ogilvie, an OED
lexicographer, said:

"There is a wonderful database called Nexus Lexus, which is just all of the
world's newspapers; we can search that, and they are downloaded every single
day. We can search newspapers from the Ayr Advocate to the Nigerian Chronicle,
just from everywhere around the world, it's fantastic."

Better give up on the dictionaries, Brian.  They're all going to rack and ruin.
 Stick to those parchment thingies...  or is that thingys?

-PeterM
peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories. -
Arthur C Clarke