atw: Re: Clone vs Clone

  • From: Peter G Martin <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brian A Clarke <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:35:07 +1000

Brian A Clarke:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:24:49 +1000,  you wrote:
> Hi Nikki,
>
> Why attempt to hijack the language of geneticists? I have yet
> to see a report from a genetics expert that is written in
> computer-speak.
>
> I recall our local butcher had a sign over the counter - 'We
> have an arrangement with the bank - we don't cash cheques and
> they don't sell meat.'
>
> Why not use simple English - like 'copy'?

Problem is, you can copy everything on a disk, but that doesn't really
replicate the disk in its original form....   e.g. file allocations can be in
different
places etc...      So it's not exact.   so...

replicate  / make a replica of /  duplicate exactly
make an exact duplicate or copy or reproducation  /  reproduce exactly ?

Little wonder most of it comes from genetics...      It's what it's "supposed"
to be about...

--Peter M