atw: Re: Audience Analysis

  • From: "Michelle Hallett" <michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:51:29 +1100

Have you read a book called The Design of Everyday Things? It seems to be
saying that objects themselves should provide clues as to how to use them
(for example, an object should show us by its structure where it should be
held). This is not so easy in an online or printed environment though some
clues have developed through usage, eg underlining and hand cursor says
'click here and something will happen'.

We could give some more thought to how that concept might be adapted to
documentation. I don't know how but hopefully someone else might. I think
it's useful because as Peter says: "Sure, a lot of them were simply lazy and
hadn't read the docs at all --- but then, that's an indication of a serious
problem, too"

I have to confess I rarely get what I need from online help and find it is
mostly structured as a printed manually with hyperlinked chapter headings
with some lip service paid to the fact that users will dip in and out of the
help as the need arises. I think wikis might add to this, with users able to
contribute their difficulties using documentation and how they went about
finding what they needed. This might be used as source material for updating
online documentation.

Having recently bought the Microsoft Vista Resource Kit for around $140
because I had trouble getting my Vista laptop to see a wireless printer and
finding that the section on printing in Vista was largely propaganda for the
many wonderful things Microsoft have incorporated into Vista, I find I'm a
little concerned about the documentation coming out of Microsoft these days.
Their manuals weren't always quite so bad, though I have never thought
Microsoft manuals were particularly good.

Michelle

  _____