atw: Re: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:40:04 +1000

Once again, I'm beginning to regret raising a topic! This time, it's not
because it's led us into a battle between fiercely held points of view,
but instead because it's exposed some of the more ghastly ways people
manage to mangle our language.
Annexure, indeed! I'm sure you're right, Jill, that that word is being
used as you describe, but I think I was happier when no-one had told me
that. Adding a suffix -ure to a verb is normally used to make a noun
describing the process or action of doing something, as in 'legislature'
and 'pressure' from 'legislate' and 'press'. So 'annexure' should mean the
*process* of annexing. (You could call Hitler's action the annexure of
Austria, for example - though 'annexing' would do just as well in this
case.)

Nevertheless, dictionary.com does confirm that "Annexure is a term
substituted in some legal documents for Appendix" (not those lawyers
again!). So once again people have found a way to make our language a bit
more complicated than it needs to be.

I just hope I never have to edit a document that has an annexure. (I might
have a seizure.)

Howard

"Jill Nicholson" <jpnicho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
19/06/2008 10:09 AM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
atw: Re: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

I thought an appended paper/prewritten doc was called an annexure, and I
believe the word attachment to mean the same.
I also agree with the Kath and Helen definition.
Jill
Jill Nicholson
N&H Communications
2 Park Ave