atw: Re: Advanced tech writing wish list

  • From: SUNTER Bede <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:46:26 +1000

Hi Jill,

Realising that my input comes after at least four other posts, I'll try
not to duplicate unnecessarily. I think the next stage after the
'techniques of technical writing' is 'the disciplines of technical
writing'. Others have touched on these in part or whole. To me these
would be:
-- Documentation project planning (there are a number of models for this
ranging from simple tip-sheets to the full-blown AS 4258 process)
-- Document control (file management, version control, information
ownership)
-- Document change management (balancing the needs, rights and desires
of stakeholders, clients, information owners and SMEs)
In addition, and as others have said, there's much to be taught in
professional practice that fosters respect both for documentation and
the technical communication industry among clients and consumers. These
include assessing the need for (and judging the advisability of)
editorial intervention; being able to demonstrate and articulate the
problem-solving and value-adding aspects of one's work.

Hope this is useful

Bede