atw: Re: "A software"?!

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 09:17:03 +0800

You could be in danger of overthetopping there, Michael.

Stuart

On 15/06/2017 9:08 AM, Michael Lewis wrote:

Treating "software" as a count noun rather than a mass noun is, indeed, common to non-native speakers. There are many comparable examples, including one I mentioned a while back - "pant" having become a singular noun in quite widespread usage, because "a pair of pants" seems to refer to those generous tailors (no "Y" there, Janet!) who sell a suit with a single jacket and a second pair of trews. The mass/count noun distinction really doesn't exist in many east Asian languages, especially those that don't have "articles" such as a/an and the, so speakers of those languages don't have the habits of thought that make the distinction seem natural.

As for "onboarding", it's a result of a legitimate process by which new words enter the language and, having entered, start to behave like other longer-standing words. Perhaps current political issues will lead to "underthecountering" in the near future . . .

Michael Lewis

On 15/06/2017 09:51, Janet Taylor wrote:

Where on earth did you see that?

I’m still reeling from ‘onboarding’.

Bye…